Are you craving a taste of tropical paradise? Get ready to indulge in it right now with the classic rum Planters Punch cocktail recipe. It blends rum with pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine and bitters.
This is a refreshing cocktail that’s bursting with fruit flavor and a healthy dose of rum. It transports you to white sandy beaches and swaying palm trees.
The Fascinating History of Planter’s Punch
The history of Planter’s Punch is unclear. It probably dates back to Jamaica, and may have been named after a rum called Planter’s Punch, made by Myer’s Rum.
The drink became popular in the late 1800s and stayed that way until the mid-century tiki craze ended.
The original recipe was simply a rum punch. Now you’ll find several variations on the recipe because punch recipes are flexible.
And you should feel free to change this one up to find your perfect version of this delicious drink!
The Ingredients for the Perfect Planters Punch Cocktail
For this recipe, you need just a few ingredients.
Any dark rum you enjoy will be great. If you need a suggestion, some of the best dark rums that you can use in a Planters Punch cocktail would be:
Appleton Estate Reserve Blend: This Jamaican rum has a balance of rich flavors and is great for cocktails.
Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum: Known for its distinctive flavor with notes of spice, it’s Barbadian rum at its finest.
Goslings Black Seal: A Bermuda rum, incredibly rich and well balanced, perfect for cocktails.
Kraken Black Spiced Rum: This rum from Trinidad and Tobago presents strong flavors of vanilla and spices that could add an interesting twist to your cocktail.
Pusser’s British Navy Rum: A blend from Guyana and Trinidad, full-bodied with a smooth finish.
Pineapple Juice (or Passionfruit)
You can use any citrus juice you want in this drink. Pineapple juice is great especially if you can get it from fresh pineapples.
Passion fruit makes another nice choice, but can also be hard to get. If you can’t get either of those fresh, then fresh-squeezed orange juice would be terrific.
Go for a better bottle of grenadine than what you find at the grocery store.
Fresh Lime Juice
Lime juice gives this a fresh taste and counteracts the sweetness from the pineapple juice.
What Does the Planter’s Punch Recipe Taste Like?
The Planters Punch recipe is at heart: rum with citrus juice, spice and sweetness. Many variations on it are delicious.
You’ll know you’ve gotten this drink right when you get the tangy zest and sweetness perfectly balanced.
Then, add freshly squeezed citrus juices such as orange, pineapple, and lime – their tangy zest will awaken your senses and instill an invigorating burst of tropical freshness.
Get Creative with it!
When it comes to Planter’s Punch, the possibilities are probably almost endless. The traditional version of Planter’s Punch combines dark rum, fresh citrus juices, grenadine syrup, sugar, and a dash of aromatic bitters.
Get inspiration for making your own version from these variations:
- Leave out the pineapple juice, increase the lime, and add sugar syrup to balance the tangy flavor of the lime
- Same as above, but try lemon juice instead of lime
- Try Captain Morgan’s spiced rum in it
- Swap the grenadine for pomegranate juice
Garnishes and Presentation Tips
Garnish matters, and again, you can use many things. A mint sprig is traditional. But obviously orange or pineapple and cherries are great, too.
You can’t go wrong with a beautiful citrus wheel. Orange or lime will add a burst of color to the glass and complement the fruity flavors of the punch.
For an touch of elegance, use edible flowers like hibiscus or orchids. They’ll add a stunning visual element and reinforce the idea of the drink’s tropical nature.
Delicious Snacks to Serve with Your Planter’s Punch
This is an easy drink to make into a big batch and serve at a party. So why not plan a menu of munchies while you’re at it?
1. Tropical Fruit Skewers: Thread pineapple chunks, mango slices, and kiwi pieces (or whatever tropical fruit you can find) onto skewers. Then grill them or pan sear them lightly until they’re slightly caramelized. You can also sprinkle on a touch of Tajin Clasico.
2. Spicy Jerk Chicken: The fiery kick from the jerk seasoning will contrast beautifully against the fruity sweetness of your cocktail.
3. Crispy Plantain Chips: These crispy salty treats are perfect with this drink.
4. Coconut Shrimp: shrimp cooked in a coconut crust has just the right level of sweetness to go with this drink perfectly.
Are you craving a taste of tropical paradise? Get ready to indulge in
it right now with the classic rum Planters Punch cocktail recipe. It
blends rum with pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine and bitters.
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1/4 ounce grenadine
- 2 ounces pineapple juice (or passionfruit or orange)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Splash of club soda
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour all ingredients except the club soda into the shaker.
- Shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Fill a tall glass with crushed ice.
- Strain the mixture into the glass.
- Top with the splash of club soda.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge or mint sprig.