How do you plan on bringing in the new year? Whether you’ll be at a party, a bar or in a more low-key setting, we have 22 New Years cocktails to make it special.
What makes a cocktail great for New Years is hard to define, and also subjective. Many New Years cocktails feature champagne, the traditional drink to the new year, but this list ventures beyond that limit for some exciting alternatives.
It also aims for cocktails that are easy to make, yet terribly impressive so you can wow your guests without spending the whole party behind the bar.
Speaking of parties, check out this fabulous Chicago Swing hat and noisemaker set for stylish get-togethers. And you’ll need these gorgeous New Years paper straws (with festive sticker cutouts) for the cocktails.
New Years cocktails
First, you might want to check out our collection of champagne cocktails, because you can never go wrong with those! But if you’re looking for something a little bit different for your New Year’s cocktails, read on.
1. Gin Flourish – a delicious red drink with blackberry currant soda, gin and Patron Citronge, which is fruity with just a little tartness.
2. Avartini – one of our prettiest blue cocktails, the Avartini features blueberry Stoli, blue Curacao and Sprite for bubbles. A beautiful, festive drink.
5. Jack’s Grand Ball – Jack Daniels Honey meets Tia Maria, Grand Marnier, and Aztec chocolate bitters.
7. Royal Clover Club Cocktail – very traditional, all citrus and berry with that creaminess that comes from an egg yolk (or teaspoon of egg substitute if you prefer).
9. The Misty Mint – green symbolizes wealth and good health, and this green cocktail features creme de menthe and rum over ice.
10. The B52 – three delicious liqueurs beautifully layered and tasting like caramel candy. Perfect for tossing back when the countdown’s done.
Scared of trying to make a layered cocktail? Scroll down to see my easy cocktail layering tutorial video!
11. Absinthe Suissesse – the mysterious, fascinating flavor of absinthe is perfect for a more introspective start to the new year.
13. The Deauville Cocktail – impress your friends with your knowledge of this Art Deco era cocktail. Mostly brandy and applejack – highly addictive!
16. The Stinger – brandy meets creme de menthe. This is one of those drinks you can’t describe to anyone else.
17. The Gin Martini – it’s a classic for a reason. Not every drinker’s palate can handle gin, but for those who can, this is a great choice.
18. Blue Skies – a gorgeous blue cocktail featuring fizzy lemonade, blue curacao and cointreau. Pour it in order, and you get a somewhat layered effect with no effort, and it’s really stunning.
19. Cherry Fizz – cherry brandy, lemon juice and carbonated water for bubbles.
20. Peach Fizz – peach schnapps, vodka and lemon juice with soda water. Simple, delicious and fizzy.
21. Grand Apple Cocktail – apple brandy, cognac and Grand Marnier. Distinctive and sophisticated, without being a challenge to your tastebuds.
How to layer a cocktail – easy tutorial:
And don’t forget:
- The non-drinkers deserve beautiful mocktails too!
- Rum Caviar makes an amazing addition to your festivities.
- If needed, check out our page of hangover cures!