Whether Halloween’s around the corner or not, the Ichabod Crane cocktail is pretty fabulous. It blends pumpkin-flavored liqueur with Frangelico, rum and vanilla ice cream. Seriously, just reading the description is enough to make your mouth water.
This is a rich, sweet, strong drink with three ounces of alcohol. The texture is like a milkshake, and a fairly thick one at that. I like to serve it with spoon straws so guests can spoon it out when it’s hard to get through the straw.
It’s a drink that can actually replace dessert. The taste here is pumpkin and hazelnut with vanilla and hints of caramel.
I actually prefer this to any pumpkin spice drink I can think of. Of course, maybe that’s just because I’m not the world’s biggest fan of pumpkin spice.
But I really enjoy the subtlety of the nutmeg in this one. Or cinnamon, if you prefer.
Whichever spice you use, you can sprinkle it on top and stir it down into the drink after the fact. Or you can throw it in the blender with everything else if you want to make sure it gets really mixed up.
You can use regular or French vanilla for the ice cream. The French adds a rich eggy flavor. If you like how French vanilla ice cream tastes on its own, you’ll love it in this drink.
The Ichabod Crane is an ice cream based cocktail that tastes like pumpkin spice and rum. It makes a great dessert drink!
- 1 1/2 ounce Bols Pumpkin Spice liqueur
- 1 ounce Frangelico
- 1/2 ounce 151 rum
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Nutmeg or cinnamon
- Blend the pumpkin liqueur, ice cream, rum and Frangelico in a blender. You can add a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon at this stage if you want to strengthen those flavors.
- Pour the mixture into a champagne flute.
- Sprinkle some nutmeg or cinnamon over the surface for garnish.
- You can also rim the glass with cinnamon sugar.