The Clover Club Cocktail has been a favorite for over a century. Featuring gin, lemon juice, raspberry syrup and egg white, it’s absolutely delicious and satisfying. Read on to learn how to make it!
History of the Clover Club Cocktail
The Clover Club Cocktail is a classic drink that originated in the late 1800s. It’s named after an exclusive gentlemen’s club that was once located in Philadelphia.
The Clover Club Cocktail quickly became popular among the elite members of high society, who would often gather at the club to enjoy this delicious concoction. Its unique blend of flavors made it a hit, and its popularity soon spread beyond Philadelphia.
Today, the Clover Club Cocktail remains a classic cocktail that is enjoyed by people all over the world.
What’s in a Clover Club Cocktail?
This is a sweet and sour drink made with gin, lemon juice, raspberry syrup and egg white. It’s fruity and a little bit filling because of the egg white, but still light and refreshing.
Gin is the only spirit used in this cocktail. A good quality gin with a clean taste profile, such as a dry London gin, works best in a Clover Club Cocktail. But it will also be delicious with any gin you prefer.
The lemon juice provides the sour element in this drink. Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives an added zing to this cocktail compared to bottled.
Raspberry syrup adds sweetness and depth of flavor to this drink; it can be homemade or purchased from stores or online.
Lastly, egg white adds texture and foaminess to this cocktail that makes it visually appealing.
Honestly, homemade raspberry syrup will make the very best tasting cocktail. You can be easily make it at home by mixing equal parts of raspberry puree and sugar over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
But you can also use store bought raspberry syrup, or even grenadine. Some of the early recipes may have called for grenadine. It’s not quite as fantastic, but it will work.
If you don’t trust raw eggs, you can use pasteurized eggs or aquafaba, which is the water from a can of chickpeas. Sounds bizarre, I know, but it makes a terrific egg white substitute for cocktails!
Equipment for Making Clover Club Cocktail
You probably already have everything you need on hand at your home bar.
Cocktail Shaker: There will be a lot of shaking, both dry and with ice, to make this cocktail.
Coupe Glass: The Coupe glass is traditional glassware for serving Clover Club cocktails. Its shape enhances both aroma and taste of this classic drink and it holds the egg foam beautifully.
How to Make the Clover Club Cocktail
If you’ve been intimidated by egg white cocktails in the past, don’t worry. There’s a trick to them, but it’s not hard to learn.
The dry shaking method is best for breaking up egg white. You add all your ingredients, including the egg, to the cocktail shaker without ice. Then you shake it like you mean it for a good 15 seconds or more.
Next, you add some ice into the shaker and shake it for about another 15 seconds.
As with most cocktails, fresh ingredients will give you the best results when making your Clover Club Cocktail. Adding an egg white gives the drink its signature frothy texture and creates a silky smooth mouthfeel.
This recipe is perfect for impressing guests at dinner parties or enjoying solo on a relaxing evening in.
How to Customize Your Clover Club Cocktail
The beauty of the Clover Club Cocktail lies in its versatility and ability to be customized to your personal taste. Here are some ways you can customize your Clover Club Cocktail:
1. Vary the Gin – The original recipe calls for London Dry Gin, but feel free to experiment with other types of gin such as Old Tom, Plymouth or even barrel-aged gin for a unique twist.
2. Add a touch of vermouth. Some of the old versions of this recipe called for vermouth, and you can indeed add just a little of it to enhance the overall flavor.
3. Add Some Fruits – Substitute raspberry syrup for other fruit syrups like strawberry or blackberry syrup or add some fresh fruit puree like peach, mango or blueberry for an extra burst of fruity flavor.
3. Experiment with Sweeteners – Use different types of sweeteners like honey, agave nectar or maple syrup instead of simple syrup.
4. Spice it Up– Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom to give your cocktail a warm and spicy flavor.
5. Garnish Creatively – Experiment with different garnishes such as edible flowers, fresh berries or citrus twists to add visual appeal and enhance the aroma and flavor profile of your cocktail.
Clover Club Cocktail Pairings
The Clover Club Cocktail is a versatile drink that can be paired with a variety of foods. Its subtle flavors and light texture make it an excellent option for appetizers or light entrees. The cocktail’s key ingredient, raspberry syrup, lends itself to pairing the drink with savory dishes that have some sweetness.
For appetizers, the Clover Club pairs perfectly with creamy brie or goat cheese on crackers or crostini. The cocktail’s lightness complements the richness of the cheese while its raspberry notes complement the tanginess of goat cheese and cut through the creaminess of brie.
Another great pairing for appetizers is smoked salmon on toast points. The subtle smoky flavor of the salmon pairs well with the sweet-tartness of the cocktail.
Clover Club Cocktail Variations
The beauty of the Clover Club Cocktail is that it can be easily customized to suit your personal taste preferences. While the classic recipe calls for gin, raspberry syrup, lemon juice, and egg white, there are countless variations that feature different spirits, fruits, and sweeteners.
The Royal Clover Club cocktail, probably the best known variation, swaps egg white for egg yolk.
Tips and Tricks for Making a Perfect Clover Club Cocktail
Here are a few tips and tricks that will help you make the perfect cocktail:
1. Use fresh ingredients: fresh raspberry and lemon juice can elevate the taste of your Clover Club Cocktail.
2. Use quality gin: The gin is the foundation of this cocktail, so pick a good one.
3. Shake, shake, shake: it might be possible to shake this one too much, but I’ve yet to see it happen. If you want that beautiful egg foam on top, it takes a lot of shaking.
5. Garnish: use fresh raspberries, if possible. If you don’t have them, lemon twists also work.
6. Serve in chilled glasses: chilled glasses keep your cocktails cold for longer periods and enhance their flavors.
Enjoy Your Clover Club Cocktail
This classic and timeless drink has stood the test of time for over a century. Its unique blend of flavors and historical significance make it a must-try for any cocktail lover.
With the right ingredients and equipment, anyone can master the art of making a perfect Clover Club Cocktail. Whether enjoyed alone or paired with food, this cocktail is sure to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds.
Clover Club Cocktail Recipe
The Clover Club Cocktail has been a favorite for over a century. Featuring gin, lemon juice, raspberry syrup and egg white, it's absolutely delicious and satisfying. Read on to learn how to make it!
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce raspberry syrup or grenadine syrup
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white*
- Garnish with fresh raspberries
- Add the gin, raspberry syrup, lemon juice and egg white into a cocktail shaker without ice.
- Shake for 15 seconds.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker, and shake it again for at least 30 seconds.
- Strain the micture into a coupe glass
- Garnish with fresh raspberries.