The Candy Cane Cocktail is a fabulous holiday dessert drink. Of course, you don’t have to save it for dessert – it’s just so deliciously sweet that you could. While the name might have you expecting a simple mint drink, there’s a lot more going on in this cocktail.
This drink certainly does have a strong mint flavor. But it’s also got berry flavored vodka and grenadine for an amazing berry flavor. Maybe even more surprising is the white creme de cacao that adds strong chocolate notes. Mint, berry and chocolate all in one drink, and none of them overpowering the others. Plus, that little bit of cream mellows the whole thing out and makes it luscious.
There’s no need to save this one for the holidays. Even though it calls for a rim of crushed candy canes, which are only available seasonally, you can get round peppermint candies any time of the year.
This is a wonderful drink for holiday parties or an evening in. Because of the strong berry flavor, it’s not very easy to pair with meals. However, it’s wonderful with salty snacks like pretzels, nuts or chips, or mild sweet treats like angel food or coconut cake.
For those who live in countries where half-and-half isn’t sold, it’s just equal parts heavy cream and whole milk. If you don’t have both on hand, you could also use half an ounce of heavy cream alone, or a whole ounce of whole milk.
Candy Cane Cocktail Recipe
The gorgeous and tasty Candy Cane Cocktail tastes just like its namesake. It's all mint and berry with a hint of chocolate. It's got just enough cream to make it feel luxurious, and the pink color of the drink in a glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy is just beautiful.
- 3/4 ounce SKYY Berry vodka
- 3/4 ounce peppermint schnapps
- 3/4 ounce white creme de cacao
- 1/4 ounce grenadine
- 3/4 ounce half-and-half (or 1 part heavy cream to 1 part whole milk)
- Crushed hard peppermint candy.
- Mix the vodka, peppermint Schnapps, grenadine and creme de cacao with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Be sure to shake it up thoroughly.
- Rim a cocktail glass with crushed hard peppermint candy and pour the shaken mixture into the glass.
- Top it off with half 'n' half.