The Bay Breeze is one of those drinks for when you’re dreaming of a beach getaway but can’t escape the daily grind. It’s a drink that makes you feel like you’ve at least made it to a nearby pool.
It could be argued that the recipe for the Bay Breeze cocktail isn’t a tropical drink at all. It contains cranberry juice, after all, which is more of a cold weather fruit.
But it also has pineapple and it’s a stunning shade of red, and those are the reasons it’s at least going to make you think of being poolside at a nice resort. It’s great for summer parties or just unwinding after a long day.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this drink, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Vodka: Opt for a high-quality vodka that is smooth and clean-tasting. Tito’s Handmade, Ketel One, Absolut orGrey Goose
- Cranberry juice: your standard bottle from the grocery store is just fine for this one.
- Pineapple juice: nothing beats fresh pineapple juice, but that’s hard to do. Opt for a no sugar added bottle for the best flavor short of juicing it yourself.
How to Make it
It’s really easy to make this drink. You just add the ingredients to a shaker half-filled with ice, shake well, and strain it over a glass of ice.
We’ll go into more detail below!
Variations and Related Cocktails
- The Cosmopolitan with grapefruit juice and orange.
- The Sea Breeze with grapefruit instead of pineapple juice.
- Cape Cod with just cranberry and vodka.
Serving Suggestions and Pairings
This versatile cocktail pairs well with a number of different dishes and special occasions.
- Serve this cocktail at your next summer barbecue alongside grilled seafood, such as shrimp skewers or mahi-mahi fillets.
- For a light and refreshing appetizer pairing, serve your Bay Breeze with a platter of fresh fruit skewers or a tropical fruit salsa.
- If you’re hosting a brunch, the Bay Breeze is great with dishes like eggs Benedict or tropical-inspired French toast.
- Don’t forget to garnish your cocktail with an umbrella or tropical fruit skewer to enhance the visual appeal and create an authentic beachy vibe.
Health Benefits of Ingredients
While indulging in cocktails should always be done responsibly, it’s worth noting that the Bay Breeze does offer some health benefits thanks to its ingredients.
If you’re going to have a lot of sugar in your drink, it’s better to do it with fruit juices than straight sweeteners!
- Cranberry juice is known for its high antioxidant content and potential benefits for urinary tract health.
- Pineapple juice contains bromelain, an enzyme that aids digestion and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Both cranberry and pineapple juices provide essential vitamins and minerals, making this cocktail a more nutritious option compared to some other sugary drink choices.
Did you know these interesting facts about the Bay Breeze cocktail?
- The Bay Breeze is also commonly known as “Hawaiian Sea Breeze”.
- This cocktail gained popularity during the 1950s and ’60s when tiki culture surged in popularity.
- Various recipes call for differing amounts of the ingredients. Some have equal parts cranberry and pineapple juice, for example. You can’t go wrong, so tweak the recipe to your taste.
Tips & Tricks for Serving
- Popular garnishes include fresh lime wedges, pineapple wedges, maraschino cherries, or even a cocktail umbrella to evoke a tropical feel.
- This drink is usually served in a highball glass or a Collins glass. These tall and slender glasses showcase the cocktail’s vibrant colors and allow plenty of room for ice and garnishes.
- You can build it in a glass instead of shaking if you prefer. If you don’t stir it, it tends to layer red and yellow, which is fun.
- To make it less sweet, use more cranberry juice and less pineapple.
- Make it stronger by adding more vodka and less fruit juice.
The Bay Breeze drink is for when you're dreaming of a beach getaway but can’t escape the daily grind. It makes you feel like you're at a beach paradise.
- 2 ounces of vodka
- 4 ounces of cranberry juice
- 2 ounces of pineapple juice
- Fresh lime wedges (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes.
- Pour in 2 ounces of vodka.
- Add 4 ounces of cranberry juice to the shaker.
- Now, pour in 2 ounces of pineapple juice.
- Securely place the lid on the shaker and give it a vigorous shake for about 10-15 seconds.
- Take a highball glass and fill it with fresh ice cubes.
- Strain the shaken cocktail into the glass, using a strainer to catch any ice remnants.
- Garnish your cocktail with a fresh lime wedge for an added burst of citrus flavor.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!