The Tom Collins is a very simple drink with a bold, straightforward flavor – that’s why it’s been such an enduring classic. It’s essentially a gin lemonade (or limeade), ideal for sipping through a straw on hot summer days. This drink is best served in a tall, cool mug.
The Tom Collins
- 2 ounces dry gin (Bombay Sapphire is a great choice)
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice (or lime juice, if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 3 ounces club soda
- Garnish with an orange slice
Fill ahalfway with ice cubes and pour in the gin, lemon juice, and sugar. Shake well. Fill a tall glass halfway with ice cubes and strain the drink mixture into it. Add the club soda. Stir and garnish with the orange slice.
From Texas barbecue to a chef’s salad
A Tom Collins is at its very best when served at a barbecue. The bold lemon flavor and the smoky taste of the meat compliment each other wonderfully. It’s also great as an after dinner drink or paired with a meal of subtle flavors like:
- Chicken and mozarella panini
- White pizza
- Cobb or chef’s salad
- Fish dishes (that aren’t overly seasoned)