Skittles Vodka Tutorial

Infusing vodka with Skittles is a very popular trend right now. There are a couple of different ways to do it. My way involves separating all the Skittles into their separate flavors and making five different bottles of Skittles vodka.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Skittles Vodka

Over the years since I originally published this, I’ve found better ways to do some of it. Most importantly, I found a better way to strain it, and I’ve tested it with rum. In fact, the green one in this batch is rum. More on that at the end.

Time to complete: 24 hours at most. That’s about 30 minutes of prep; 15 minutes altogether for the occasional shaking; a good 14 hours to just let it do its thing; and a good hour or two for straining. Need something quicker and easier? Jolly Ranchers Vodka doesn’t need any straining or shaking, and infuses in about half the time.

For this project, you’ll need:

• One 1.75 liter bottle of vodka (I used Stoli – you don’t need the most expensive vodka, but do avoid the cheap ones)
  • Five 8.5 ounce flasks or bottles (you can buy them from Amazon. For a Halloween party, serve these neon-colored concoctions in test tube shooter glasses.)
  • One 1 pound bag of Skittles
  • Five empty plastic water bottles
  • A funnel
  • Bowls for separating the Skittles into flavors
  • A measuring cup
  • Cheesecloth and coffee filters

You’ll also probably want to cover your workspace with newspaper or freezer paper – this infusion can get messy. If you’re making a different sized batch, here’s the formula you need to know: I used 70 Skittles to 7 ounces of vodka, which yields about 7-8 ounces of infused vodka. If you want to make 1.5 times that, or 3 times that, just multiply your amounts.

Step 1: Separate Skittles into Flavors

Start by simply separating the Skittles into flavors. You want 70 of each.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Related: Starburst Vodka Tutorial

Step 2: Put Skittles in bottles

Now put your Skittles into 5 bottles. I used some old water bottles I had on hand, but you can use any container with a secure lid – plastic or glass. Mason jars work great because whatever bottles you use, they’re going to end up with a lot of gunk to be washed out, and Mason jars are easy to wash out.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Step 3: Add the vodka

Now add the 7 ounces (or whatever measurement you’re using) of vodka to each bottle. When this is done, all five bottles will have a pile of Skittles soaking in the vodka.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Step 4: Shake ’em, shake ’em, shake ’em

Now your infusion bottles all have Skittles in the bottom. Give each bottle a good shake – the more, the better. The candy coating will start to rub off and color the vodka, but the white insides of the Skittles still have a lot of dissolving to do. After shaking them, set them aside for a few hours. I think shaking them every few hours, up to maybe 4 times altogether, helps them dissolve faster – especially if you’re making a bigger batch. My Skittles all dissolved overnight, but some people have had it take longer, so be sure to do this a full day in advance of when you want to serve them.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

See the white stuff at the bottom? That’s what I was talking about. Once they’re all dissolved, you’ll notice a lot of white muck floating at the top. We’ll take care of this in Step 6.

Step 5: Strain

Since I first did this one, I’ve found that the quickest and most thorough way to strain these is through: 2 layers of cheese cloth inside a coffee filter. I’ve tried a lot of combinations, and this is the one that worked for me. It strained out everything in one pass, and didn’t take too long.

If you want suggestions on how to arrange that stuff, here’s what I did.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Looks like something from a mad scientist lab, huh? I clipped the coffee filters and cheesecloth (you can’t see the filters for the cheesecloth) onto a funnel with clips, and then stuck that contraption over a measuring cup. The thing about using a funnel is that it directs the flow of the stuff toward the bottom, which makes it go a little quicker.

Then I poured one of the infusions into my strainer setup. I had to pour about a quarter of my infusion in, then wait for some of it to soak through, then pour another quarter in, until I was done. If the strainer clogs with white gunk, you can use a spoon to scrape the white gunk out of the way.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

By the way, if you’re wondering whether it’s going to slowly, this is about the stream you should expect if it’s filtering everything out like it should:

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

In the end, you’ll have about 8 ounces of Skittle infused vodka. Then I dumped the funnel and coffee filters into one of the bowls I’d used earlier for counting out Skittles, to catch drips as I carried it over to the sink. I washed everything out for re-using.

Then I took the liquid from the measuring cup and poured it into a flask. Repeat this process for each flavor.

Step 6: Chill and Serve

Now you’ve got 5 flasks or bottles of Skittles infused vodka:

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Stick them in the freezer for several hours – overnight is fabulous… and they’re ready to serve:

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

A tutorial for making Skittles Vodka.

Related: Salted Caramel Vodka Recipe

Now, these are pretty strong on their own – nearly pure vodka. They are also very sweet. You can drink them straight, served up in a chilled martini glass, or you can use them in a cocktail:

• Mix them with ginger ale, 7-up or Sprite to taste
  • Mix them with cola to taste (diet cola cuts the sweetness a little)
  • Serve them on the rocks to water it down a little
  • Some people mix them with fruit juice. I didn’t try this, because to me the Skittles were plenty of sweetness for my taste buds.
  • Everyone’s taste varies – there are so many directions you can take this drink in, you really should try anything that sounds good to you!

Cheers!

Frequently asked questions:

• How long will this keep? I’m not a scientist, but I can tell you I’ve kept these for about a month with no problem. Strangely, the purple color can fade to pink, but that was the only “issue”. Everything tasted just like it always does and no one got ill. To be on the safe side, I recommend making these no more than 2 weeks ahead.
  • Can you do it with rum? Absolutely! The green one in this batch is rum – it takes the same amount of time, strains the same way, etc. But the rum will add its own flavor. If you’ve ever had rum balls or butter rum candy, that’s the flavor it adds, and it’s delicious. I actually prefer the rum, but it depends on your preference. Both ways are terrific.
  • Can you strain it with [insert alternative here]? You can strain it with many methods, but the one I gave you above is what I’ve found to be both the quickest without letting through gunk and needing a second pass.

get every new recipe free in your inbox!

Enter your email address, and get an email notification every time there's a new post - about 3-4 per week. And join us on social media for every recipe + lots of great food & drink from other sites!
Pinterest - Facebook - Twitter - BlogLovin' - RSS

Join 348 other subscribers

Comments

• Rebecca says

Your taste buds can not taste flavors as well when something is cold. The colder vodka is the less you can taste the alcohol. Eat warm soup and cold soup you will notice the difference.

For all the people saying to make it “ice cold” the reason people want there liquor ice cold is to minimize the taste of it.

Why do you put ice in your drink? Why not drink your whiskey neat? If you do not put ice in your drink to reduce the taste (making it taste better) why do you?

• Matt says

Well everything has a freezing point but vodka probably wouldn’t freeze in a conventional freezer

• Tab says

The freezing point of alcohol depends on its proof–most vodka is 80 proof, which will freeze somewhere around -30 C. If there is a conventional freezer out there that gets that cold, well… that would be very interesting. And probably very expensive. 😛

• Josh says

You don’t HAVE to freeze it. It is some peoples’ preference that vodka be ice cold though. It makes it much smoother going down

1. Wendy Hoffman says

can you do the candy infused with everclear where available or rum? and yeah love the bottles – possibly pricey maple syrup bottles?

2. Justmedebee says

I use Jolly Roger cinnamon hot hardy candy to make a Martini. I use just one in shaker with a little splash of tonic. Yummy Yum. Oh yeh don’t forget the Vodka!

3. Britton says

Just a thought but club soda would make the skittle vodka fizzy without adding any sweetness…could work.

• Sebastian says

Infusing the skittles into the vodka is, naturally, diluting the ABV of the vodka. If you’re using a standard vodka which is normally 37.5% alc/vol (or 75 proof), you can expect your Skittles Vodka concoction to be about 30 to 32% alc/vol (60 to 64 proof) based on a ratio of 10 Skittles per ounce of vodka.

• Jen says

Thanks for the math, Sebastian! Toni, sorry I somehow missed your question… yes, as Sebastian said it gets a little bit weaker, which is why you can use a vodka that’s just barely drinkable. The weakening effect also makes it seem “smoother”. But it’s not significantly weaker, so don’t think it’s light on alcohol – it’s still nearly straight vodka.

• Huntre says

Its makes it very sweet but the flavors mix in an odd way. My friends and I used to make it by having a pitcher filled with 1/4 vodka (add more if needed) and putting all the skittles and letting soak for about an hour. We stirred using a fork (someone thought it’d make it quicker) and set for another 20 minutes before stirring one last time before serving. I would recommend an overnight soak and stir. One person actually added Kool Aid and sugar for a little more of a fruity flavor.

4. PurpleJ3nn says

Thank you for posting this. I told my son and his friend that I would make them some for our up coming BBQ/housewarming party

5. Toffy says

I have been messing around on your site for an hour and a half. GREAT STUFF.
    My question is: What is the flavor difference between the Skittles Vodka and the Jolly Rancher Vodka? I’m not much of a candy person, but yes have had both. Jolly Ranchers Cinnamon are a fav of mine but years ago. Skittles are more sour, so I wonder if that is imparted into the Vodka or not?
    Any help here would be appreciated. I will prolly try the JRanchers first as the lack of straining makes that recipe a quicker to the done stage for the tasting.

6. stef says

Does anyone know if the french press method of filtering used in the marshmallow infusion will work for the skittles and starburst recipes?

• Jen says

Yes, it’s does, it’s just there’s a chance it could gum up your French press really badly. That’s why I don’t recommend it for candies that have wax. But it does work, so if you don’t mind taking the chance… (and I have always managed to get mine clean).

7. Bish says

Hi, just thought I’d run this one past you all. A couple of years ago me and a mate were experimenting with various sweets to see what works best. We did this in Latvia where you can get a litre bottle of real Russian vodka for around £3 (approx $4.80 U.S). We found that the very best sweets to use were Werthers original. I guess you Americans would call that butter candy?
    Anyway, we named this legendary drink the ‘Mucky Grandad’. One NOT to try however was the chocolate vodka. It really didn’t mix well and gave immediate gag reflex when sipping. Had we been sober we probably wouldn’t have even tried it. Honestly, it looked like diarrhea.

8. ady says

tried the skittles vodka with tropical skittles and the other flavors there came out sooooo good and mixed them with seltzer water

9. lori says

I just made these with the exact way in this tutorial, 8.5 ounce flask, 60 skittles to 6 ounce vodka, it was NO WHERE NEAR 8 ounces, it gave me roughly 6 ounces of infused vodka not 8 so, how do you get 8 ounces with this recipe?

10. raymond says

american skittles in 2009 are diffrent as europese skittles.
    ive tryed it and orange failed very hard to merge colours.
    and i used smiffnof vodka and dutch skittles.
    bit of an failure haha

• Eric says

Europe has stricter laws about artificial coloring. I know for a fact that Kraft can’t use the same orange Mac and Cheese color in Europe as in the US, so it is likely the same for Skittles.

• Jen says

You can use other types of alcohol, but they will add their flavor to the Skittles. As for O’Doul’s, I doubt it. The liquid you use has to have some ingredient that can break down the Skittles. I just don’t know whether the ingredients in O’Doul’s would do that or not. You could try it on a small batch though and see.

11. Stacy says

Great flavors. Mix the orange with mt. Dew, and the other flavors are great with 7-up. Making the 2nd batch in 2 days!

• Jen says

Yes, or pretty much any alcohol – it’s just anything but vodka adds some of its own flavor. But that can be great!

• Steph says

I did that the first time I made it, didn’t have directions. It doesn’t taste bad, but the white stuff does have a sort of gritty texture. Also, you have to shake it everytime you use it, because the white stuff will collect and separate.

12. Steph says

You mentioned mixing with fruit juices, and while with standard juice is to sweet, these (especially orange and the berry flavors) mix REALLY well with unsweetened cranberry or pomegranate juice.

They’re really good for mixing with bitter fruit juices! Orange skittle vodka and unsweetened cranberry and ice is one of my favorite drinks. It’s also really good with seltzer to preference, because undiluted cranberry is a really strong flavor.

• does it matter? says

Don’t boil the vodka! Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, meaning that when you’re heating it up past that point the alcohol is evaporating out of the liquid. If you heat your alcohol above about 170 degrees F it’ll start losing its potency.

13. Cai says

I just did it but decided I needed bigger batch so 80 Skittles to 8 oz, colors pretty much gone already. I did one with orange, red, green and yellow the colors not very pretty. I also did a yellow and red mix. Then all the others but the purple, I don’t really like the purple skittles to begin with. I’ll be putting them in mason jars after the filtering. I used the big Costco bag of Skittles so I still have quite a bit left. Also used the Kirkland American Vodka which is 80proof. I’m definitely going to try them with Mt Dew. I also have a seltzer siphon that I will finally get to use. I might have to try with Tequila next time see how that goes.

14. Anna says

How long can you let the vodka sit for? Does the taste change at all if it sits for longer? Does it taste better to do it right away?