The Scarlet O’Hara is a sweet and tart drink, perfect for after dinner. It’s popularity has declined in recent years, and it’s overdue for a revival.
There are several recipes available, but the one that’s considered best uses Southern Comfort, cranberry juice and lime. The overall effect with this drink is a blend of mellow peach and tart cranberry, with an exciting touch of citrus. Definitely one to sip and savor.
- 2 ounces Southern Comfort
- Dash of lime juice
- 6 ounces cranberry juice
- Garnish with a lime wedge
Pour the Southern Comfort, lime juice and cranberry juice into awith ice, and shake well. Strain into a sour or Collins glass.
Other variations on this recipe use grenadine instead of cranberry juice or peach liqueur instead of Southern Comfort. Is it me, or does it just seem wrong to make a drink called the Scarlet O’Hara without using Southern Comfort?
This drink can be a little too flavorful to compliment most meals. Since the drink is perfect for savoring all by itself, pair it with salty snack foods that contrast strongly with it. You can go with something as easy as your standard bar snacks, like pretzels and nuts. Some other suggestions include:
- Cheese and crackers: the best cheeses for this drink are sharp cheddar, mozarella, jack or brie. For crackers, choose something flavorful but mild, like a whole wheat or buttery (Ritz) cracker.
- Bacon-wrapped mushrooms, or almost any appetizer/snack involving bacon.
- Tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole. Or go all the way and enjoy a plate of nachos with this drink.